Plant cells are surrounded by a polysaccharide-rich matrix that constitutes the cell wall of all higher plants. These structurally complex polysaccharides provide an important resource for food, renewable materials, and the generation of bioenergy. Investigations into the structure, function, and biosynthesis of cell wall glycans are aided by well-defined and pure oligosaccharides which are available through chemical synthesis .
We have prepared oligosaccharides derived from different cell wall polysaccharides using automated glycan assembly [2-6]. For each class of polysaccharide a collection of oligosaccharide samples were synthesized from a limited set of monosaccharide building blocks. The assembled glycans were subsequently printed as microarray to characterize antibodies that recognize plant cell wall glycans  and glycosyltransferases that are involved in plant cell wall biosynthesis.
- F. Pfrengle, Curr. Opin. Chem. Biol. 2017, 40, 145-151.
- P. Dallabernardina, F. Schuhmacher, P. H. Seeberger, F. Pfrengle, Chem. Eur. J. 2017, 23, 3191-3196.
- D. Senf, C. Ruprecht, Goswinus H. M. de Kruijff, S. O. Simonetti, F. Schuhmacher, P. H. Seeberger, F. Pfrengle, Chem. Eur. J. 2017, 23, 3197-3205.
- M. P. Bartetzko, F. Schuhmacher, P. H. Seeberger, F. Pfrengle, J. Org. Chem. 2017, 82, 1842-1850.
- P. Dallabernardina, C. Ruprecht, P. J. Smith, M. G. Hahn, B. R. Urbanowicz, F. Pfrengle, Org. Biomol. Chem. 2017, 15, 9996-10000.
- M. P. Bartetzko, F. Pfrengle, ChemBioChem 2019, 20, 877-885.
- C. Ruprecht, M. P. Bartetzko, D. Senf, P. Dallabernadina, I. Boos, M. C. F. Andersen, T. Kotake, J. P. Knox, M. G. Hahn, M. H. Clausen, F. Pfrengle, Plant. Physiol. 2017, 175, 1094-1104.