Several bioactive natural and synthetic compounds bear spirocyclic units. Synthesis of this motif is still a great challenge, especially on a carbohydrate framework. Natural anomeric spirocyclic compounds such as the herbicide hydantocidin  and the papulacandins  with antifungal activity are well known, other synthetic compounds show glycosidase , glycogen phosphorylase  and SGLT2 inhibition . A representative from the latter group has been marketed recently for the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus.
C-Glycosyl derivatives of ulosonic acids are scarcely known in the literature, such type of structures are limited only to the 3-deoxy type sialic acid derivatives. Herein we report a systematic study on the synthesis of bis-C,C-glycopyranosyl compounds from fully substituted heptulosonic acids followed by cyclization to novel spirocycles. From per-O-acylated (ulopyranosyl bromide)onic acid derivatives (1) further glycosyl donors (2) were prepared with various leaving groups and anomeric configurations and the ionic and radical reactions of 1 and 2 were investigated towards bis-C,C-glycosyl derivatives 3. Transformations of the anomeric C-substituents and cyclization steps led to spirocycles 4 with five and six membered heterorings.
- Soengas, R. G.; Da Silva, G.; Estévez, J. C. Synthesis of Spironucleosides: Past and Future Perspectives. Molecules 2017, 22, 2028.
- Kobayashi, T.; Regens, C. S.; Denmark, S. E. In Strategies and Tactics in Organic Synthesis, Harmata, M., Ed. Academic Press: 2012, 8, 79-126.
- Tite, T.; Tomas, L.; Docsa, T.; Gergely, P.; Kovensky, J.; Gueyrard, D.; Wadouachi, A. Synthesis of N-aryl spiro-sulfamides as potential glycogen phosphorylase inhibitors. Tetrahedron Lett. 2012, 53, 959-961.
- Somsák, L. Glucose derived inhibitors of glycogen phosphorylase. Compt. Rend. Chimie 2011, 14, 211-223.
- Aguillón, A. R.; Mascarello, A.; Segretti, N. D.; de Azevedo, H. F. Z.; Guimaraes, C. R. W.; Miranda, L. S. M.; de Souza, R. O. M. A. Synthetic Strategies toward SGLT2 Inhibitors. Organic Process Research & Development 2018, 22, 467-488.