The Staphylococcus aureus is a kind of Gram-positive bacterium that cause a wide range of diseases. Methicilin-resistant S. aureus (MRSA) has been being a huge challenge for anti-infection in therapeutics and clinic. Considering the lower efficacy of traditional antibiotic, the emergency requirements of novel anti-biotics is on the way. Thus, based on the mechanism that capsular polysccharides (CPS) in S. aureus might be employed as antigen in a protein conjugated vaccine, and most currently used antigens which are isolated from bacteria are carbohydrate compounds with specific structures, the design and synthesis of functionalized, well-defined carbohydrate-based vaccine has been drawing great interests in life science.
Most isolates of S. aureus contains two CPS, the type 5 and type 8 (figure). Both contains three rare monosaccharides; N-acetyl mannosaminuronic acid (ManNAcA), a 2-N-acetyl L-fucosamine (L-FucNAc) and a 2-N-acetyl D-fucosamine (D-FucNAc). The ManNAcA is linked to the position 4 of L-FucNAc by an β-glycosidic linkage, whereas the position 3 of D-FucNAc unit is connected to the L-FucNAc by an αmanner. Until now, there are limits of paper about the synthesis of CPS type 5 and type 8 [1-4]. In this work, based on the previous results on CPS in our team , we reported a total synthesis of modified structure of CPS type 5 including tricsaccharides, hexa-, nona- and dode- saccharides, in which the NHAc of D-FucNAc are replaced by NH3 for antibody evaluation. For the glycosylations of each building blocks, we employed a neighbouring participation NHTCA or NHTFA for construction of β-glycosidic linkage with spacer, and using TBS directing α-fucosylation to synthesis disaccharides, most importantly, the β-mannosylation has been being optimized by using two different ManNAcA systems. The project is still in progress, hereby we only present the preliminary results.
- . Hagen, J. H. M. Van Dijk, Q. Zhang, H. S. Overkleeft, G. A. Van Der Marel, J. D. C. Codée, Org. Lett. 2017, 19, 2514–2517.
- J. P. Yasomanee, S. Visansirikul, P. Pornsuriyasak, M. Thompson, S. A. Kolodziej, A. V. Demchenko, J. Org. Chem. 2016, 81, 5981–5987.
- S. Visansirikul, S. A. Kolodziej, A. V. Demchenko, J. Org. Chem. 2019, 84, 216–227.
- I. A. Gagarinov, T. Fang, L. Liu, A. D. Srivastava, G. J. Boons, Synthesis of Staphylococcus Aureus Type 5 Trisaccharide Repeating Unit: Solving the Problem of Lactamization, 2015.
- B. Hagen, J. H. M. Van Dijk, Q. Zhang, H. S. Overkleeft, G. A. Van Der Marel, J. D. C. Codée, Org. Lett. 2017, 19, 2514–2517.